Re: Slow access to files using UNC path

From: Dhruva Krishnamurthy
Subject: Re: Slow access to files using UNC path
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 15:34:53 +0530

Hello,

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 11:49:12 +0200, "Andreas Schwab" <address@hidden>
said:
> David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
> > I don't know the context, though: maybe the second actually was what
> > was desired.  Or maybe it was // or \\ in which case we'd need
> > (string-match "^\(//\|\\\\\\\\\)")
>
> Still not enough backslashes:
>
>   (string-match "^\\(//\\|\\\\\\\\\\)" file)
>
> Remember that there are two levels of quoting: regexp quoting and string
> quoting, each adding it's own batch of backslashes.

This (adding extra backslashes) is the main reason for all confusion. I
personally feel PERL regex is more cleaner.
 Anyway, thanks a lot for the help in Emacs regexp, I can now work with
 GNU Emacs to access files using
UNC paths. I wish the code snippet I had sent could be added as a
customizable feature so that all
packages wanting to access files can use it. Maybe packages uses a much
lower method to access files
and they are not facing these issues.

with best regards,
dhruva