Re: enriched-mode and switching major modes.

From: Oliver Scholz
Subject: Re: enriched-mode and switching major modes.
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 13:07:06 +0200

>     With the current emacs display engine, there is no way
>     to display something simple like
>
>      AAAbbbbbbb
>      AAAccccccc
>
>     The best emacs can do is:
>
>      AAAbbbbbbb
>      AAA
>       ccccccc
>
>     as it has a primitive "no overlapping line" display model.
>
> In a word processor, what constructs would give you something like
> that?  I have no idea what HTML constructs could produce such a
> layout; if there is a way, it must go beyond the simple HTML markup
> that I know.

If I understand Kim correctly, then simple tables where the first
column contains a caption for the row would be an example where it
would matter.

       __   __
  /\  |__) /     ABC
 /__\ |  \ |     ABC
/    \|__/ \__   ABC

as opposed to:

       __   __
                 ABC
                 ABC

    Oliver
--
Oliver Scholz               Jour des Récompenses de l'Année 212 de la Révolution
Ostendstr. 61               Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité!