[Top][All Lists]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: address@hidden: Re: Possible help with stable Emacs releases.]

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Re: Possible help with stable Emacs releases.]
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 16:21:47 +0200

> From: Rob Browning <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 14:29:20 -0500
> Cc: "Kim F. Storm" <address@hidden>, address@hidden, address@hidden,
>       Jerome Marant <address@hidden>, Miles Bader <address@hidden>
> Imagine that 21.4 has been relased, and then imagine Jerome and I have
> made 21.5, 21.6, and 21.7 bugfix releases using backports or patches
> that were submitted to Debian, that have been approved by the Emacs
> developers.  Now imagine that you're preparing to make a new release
> from the "main" upstream development branch.  What do you call it?  If
> you pick 21.8 and then you're unexpectedly delayed for a month or two
> (for whatever reason), then we're in trouble if we need to make a
> bugfix release (imagine a data-destroying bug of some kind that can't
> wait).  We'd need something between 21.7 and 21.8.

The way it worked until now was that if a decision was made to release
the version X.N from a branch, the version number on the trunk was
bumped up to X.N+1.50.  This involves running "M-x set-version RET"
from admin.el.

The situation you describe, where both a branch and a trunk version
are undergoing a pretest never happened before, since Emacs
development until now assumed that we don't have enough resources to
do that, and so there was at most one pretest at a time.  I'm not sure
we can change that, given the available resources.

reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]