Re: finger-pointer curser as default for mouse-face text

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: finger-pointer curser as default for mouse-face text
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 21:55:39 +0200

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:
>
>> David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> In Gnus, I get buttons displayed like
>>> [attachment image.jpg]
>>>
>>> I can click with the middle button to execute a default operation.
>>> What I do more frequently is click with the left button, then press a
>>> key like "o" to indicate the action.  Most (but I don't think all)
>>> actions can be selected with a context menu on the right mouse button,
>>> but that also means that I have to use a mouse-based file dialog,
>>> which is far more inconvenient.  It is also much faster for me to type
>>> a single letter than to drag the mouse cursor to the right menu entry.
>>>
>>> If clicking mouse-1 on the button would launch the default action,
>>> this would be far more inconvenient for me.

In the case of gnus attachments, you can click mouse-1 to THE RIGHT of
the button and still be able to use the key bindings.

Alternatively, you can drag mouse-1 in the link to set point there.

>> I see the problem.  Maybe mouse-2 could set the point ?

I generally want to avoid messing with mouse-2 or mouse-3 -- as the
major deviation from common GUI standards only affects mouse-1.

The major problem with mouse-2 is when you only have a two-button mouse
(can you even get a laptop with three mouse buttons).

Sure, I also have a three-button mouse -- but the middle button is
on a mouse wheel which is also awkward to click.

I have been using my little hack for a few days now, and I absolutely
love it.  No more messing with clicking both mouse-buttons or mouse
wheel to follow a link.  I still have to find

> Basically you propose that we interchange button-1 and button-2 on
> active text areas.

I didn't propose it -- it was just an idea...  It's obviously not
a good idea in general.

>> Anyways, nobody would force you to use the mouse-1-follows-link
>> feature.
>
> That's never a good argument.  If we want to introduce a new feature,
> we want to make it as good as possible instead of claiming it is the
> user's fault anyway if he chooses to activate it.

Sure.  We need to find a way to DTRT in cases where mouse-1 is needed.