Re: Moving files from lisp/gnus/ to lisp/net/?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Moving files from lisp/gnus/ to lisp/net/?
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 09:13:16 -0400

    Yes, I think that would make sense, assuming that a shorter subr.el is
    better.

We should not change subr.el to make it shorter, nor to make it
longer.  That is not the criterion.

We put things in subr.el either because they are too small to want
separate files of their own, or because they are used often enough to
be worth preloading.

I would think that the current definition of read-passwd fits the
first criterion but not the second.  The new definition, depending on
password.el, I think doesn't fit either one; it may as well be
autoloaded from the new file.

I do not remember the reason for the change of name, but maybe
it was for compatibility with something.