Re: Some findings and suggestion about Emacs on w32

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Some findings and suggestion about Emacs on w32
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 10:29:46 +0200

"Lennart Borgman" <address@hidden> writes:

> [...]

I understood this, but I don't see how it makes _learning_ emacs easier.
For one thing you wont learn of dired or C-x C-f which are much better
integrated.

Anyways, what you talk about is 'integration' with the o/s, and I
think that is a good thing to do.  And yes, clicking on a .c file
should launch the file in emacs rather than Visual Stupido.

> Does not this makes it more easy to learn Emacs?

Being able to start a program doesn't usually make you an expert :-)

>                                                  At least it seems to me
> that less details have to be learned to begin using Emacs. (Of course I
> could give more examples like this, but I hope the main idea gets through.)

I think we should do both -- users are not alike, and once you master emacs,
why would you ever go into Windoze Exploder to open a file when it's right
there in C-x C-f ?

> : A major difference is that in CVS emacs, emacsserver is now INTERNAL
> : written in ELisp via make-network-process.  I.e. only emacsclient is
> : an external program.
>
> Is emacsserver started automatically or does the user have to start
> emacsserver from .emacs (or another init file)?

You must start the server with (server-start) in .emacs.