Re: Making a script to update and compile from CVS

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Making a script to update and compile from CVS
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 18:38:06 -0500

> Now I wonder in what order to do this. Should something like this be ok:

Here is what I do, typically:

     % tla star-merge OR cvs update
     % (cd lisp; make updates recompile)
     % if some files failed to compile, (cd lisp; make recompile)
     % make

I don't actually do `make install' because I always work directly "in situ",
which is important when I do C-h f so I can click to get to the source and
start editing directly in the Arch/CVS tree.

Sometimes the above fails because the changes require a more
complex bootstrap.  In that case, I generally resort to my intuition and
knowledge to come up with an ad-hoc way to bootstrap, and if all else really
fails, I end up resorting to `make bootstrap' but since that takes a long
while I really make every effort to avoid it.

Sometimes the above succeeds but with incorrectly compiled .elc files
(typically because of macros which were not defined when the file was
compiled).  I catch those problems "lazily" (i.e. only when and if
I actually use the code).

        Stefan