Re: Tooltip pops up when moving mouse

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Tooltip pops up when moving mouse
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 00:01:21 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lennart Borgman" <address@hidden>

> Yes, that is how it works on w32 too. I meant something a little bit
> different. I think the timer for the tooltip popup should be canceled (and
> maybe started again) every time the mouse is moved. Indeed I believe that
is
> what the code does.
>
> However this does not work as intended. Sometimes the operation for
> canceling the timer get queued but it is actually canceled and instead the
> tooltip flashes by. To prevent this ugly behaviour that occurs on w32 the
> mouse position where the timer where started must be recorded (I am
> repeating myself here...). As far as I can see this is not done.
>
> It is actually quite simple I believe now:
>
> mouse-position should be called in tooltip.el: tooltip-start-delayed-tip
and
> then again in tooltip-timeout again. It the mouse position has changed
then
> tooltip-timeout should not run tooltip-hook. This should fix the problem
> with the flashing tooltip. I will test and come back...

Coming back ... - the code below seems to do what I want. Comments,
suggestions? Can someone please test on X? Mac?

Changes to tooltip.el:

(defvar tooltip-mouse-pixel-position nil)

(defun tooltip-timeout (object)
  "Function called when timer with id tooltip-timeout-id fires."
  (if (and
       (equal (nth 0 tooltip-mouse-pixel-position) (nth 0
(mouse-pixel-position)))
       (> 10 (abs (- (nth 1 tooltip-mouse-pixel-position) (nth 1
(mouse-pixel-position)))))
       (> 10 (abs (- (nthcdr 2 tooltip-mouse-pixel-position)
       (nthcdr 2 (mouse-pixel-position))))))
      (progn
 (run-hook-with-args-until-success 'tooltip-hook
       tooltip-last-mouse-motion-event))
    ;;(message "%s ### %s" tooltip-mouse-pixel-position
(mouse-pixel-position))
    ))

(defun tooltip-start-delayed-tip ()
  "Add a one-shot timeout to call function tooltip-timeout."
  (setq tooltip-mouse-pixel-position (mouse-pixel-position))
  (setq tooltip-timeout-id
 (add-timeout (tooltip-delay) 'tooltip-timeout nil)))