Re: /lib/cpp not found in c-mode

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: /lib/cpp not found in c-mode
Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 14:18:11 -0400

>     Don't know about others, but the reason why I don't use c-macro-expand
>     is because it basically can't work right without parsing my
>     Makefile(s) to know which include dirs should be used.  And since it
>     doesn't do that, I've found it of little use.

> What information would it need in order to DTRT for you?

I'm not sure what you didn't understand, so I'll just rephrase it:
in order for the output of cpp to be useful, you need to make sure that all
the #include do find the corresponding header file (also it'd be better if
the various predefined macros, via -D or built-in into the compiler were
handled correctly).  This info is in general only available by parsing the
Makefile (or equivalent for people who use other tools).

Of course I can also manually take the relevant info from the Makefile and
put it into c-macro-cppflags, but doing that for each and every project
I work on is just too much trouble for me to even try it.

        Stefan