Re: [Emacs-diffs] Changes to emacs/nt/INSTALL

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] Changes to emacs/nt/INSTALL
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 12:09:08 +0300

> Cc: Juanma Barranquero <address@hidden>, address@hidden
> From: Jason Rumney <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 22:09:07 +0100
>
> Andreas Schwab replyed.
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2005-06/msg00185.html

Sorry, I missed that somehow.

Anyway, I'm still confused.  Assuming that I checkout a file with -kb,
and that file is not recorded as binary in the repository, would
commands such as "cvs diff", "cvs annotate", etc. work exactly as when
no -kb was ever used on that file?  If that is so, then the CVS people
surely need to redo their manual's description of "co -kb" and of the
binary files issue!

Also, given this description, as written by Andreas:

> > However, AFAIK the -kb option is sticky: it gets written into the
> > file's entry in CVS/Entries, and thereafter all future CVS ops for
> > that file use it.
>
> This is true, but this is a local-only setting.  If you want to make it
> permanent in the repository you need to use `cvs admin -kb'.  Neither `cvs
> update' nor `cvs checkout' changes the repository.
>
> > Doesn't that mean that "cvs ci" will also commit the new version as a
> > binary file, will all the consequences of that, like that "cvs diff"
> > will be impossible etc.?
>
> No.  Only changing the setting in the repository as above will have an
> effect like this.

was this always true, or is this some change in the recent versions of
CVS, and if latter, which version started behaving like that?

And what will "cvs ci" do for a file whose entry in CVS/Entries says
it has the -kb option set?  How will this be different from a file
without the -kb option?

Finally, if "co -kb" indeed has only a local effect, and none of the
other commands, like ci, diff, up -j, etc. are affected, it sounds
like Windows users should be told to checkout the whole tree with -kb,
right?

TIA