Re: w32 does not have emacsclient/server - getting paper size

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: w32 does not have emacsclient/server - getting paper size
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 19:13:42 +0200

Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup wrote:
>
>>>I personally find it quite disturbing that the policies do not allow
>>>for fetching for example paper size from within Emacs.
>>>

>>Nonsense.  If they are implemented as a general feature that would,
>>for example, consult LC_PAPER on Posix-compliant systems, there is
>>nothing speaking about doing this.
>>

> Are you suggesting that this can be done on w32? Can you then give me
> some pointers?

I am not suggesting any such thing.  I know nothing whatsoever about
w32 and I consider life too short to change anything about that.

What is your complaint?  That some feature is not present at all, that
it is present only on platforms other than w32, or that you would want
it to be available only on w32?

> Are you also saying that if it can not be done this way on w32 then
> we should not do it at all?

I am saying that _if_ it is done, it should not be done only on w32.
As long as the feature is made available on the free platforms, it is
no problem if the details of the implementation on w32 differ.  But it
is not a good idea to just implement stuff Windows-only.  Emacs does
not have as a goal to _force_ people to use proprietary systems if
they hope to achieve something.

If Microsoft offered a hundred programmers to work on improving Emacs,
that would be an offer not lightly turned down.  But they would not be
permitted to improve Emacs just for the sake of Windows.

I have no idea what you are complaining about actually with regard to
the paper size.  It appears that you are currently in a bad mood and
can't be bothered describing _any_ problem concretely enough so that
it would even make sense talking about it.  It is unclear what
functionality is not implemented on what platforms and for what
reasons, and why you think that somebody is sabotaging the
implementation or whatever.

Please, stop this pointless unfocused bickering.  It is taking time
and attention from work that needs to be done, at the same time being
so unspecific that it is completely unclear what this is even supposed
to be about.