Re: Overlong nodes in the Emacs Lisp Manual

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: Overlong nodes in the Emacs Lisp Manual
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 16:42:19 -0400

Thanks for finding the long nodes.
The longest nodes are not ordinary documentation;
it is ok for them to be as long as it takes:

    1347 (info "(emacs)Command Index")
    1334 (info "(emacs)Glossary")
    1185 (info "(emacs)Acknowledgments")
    992 (info "(elisp)Top")
    856 (info "(emacs)Key Index")
    802 (info "(emacs)Top")
    645 (info "(emacs)Variable Index")
    544 (info "(emacs)Manifesto")
    375 (info "(emacs)GNU Free Documentation License")
    375 (info "(elisp)GNU Free Documentation License")
    362 (info "(elisp)GPL")
    361 (info "(emacs)Copying")

    358 (info "(elisp)Buffer Internals")

Since that is about internals, its readability is less important
than usual, so I won't bother with it.

I will look at splitting these now:

    361 (info "(emacs)Regexps")
    348 (info "(elisp)Coding Conventions")
    337 (info "(emacs)Checklist")
    291 (info "(elisp)Low-Level Network")
    258 (info "(elisp)Writing Emacs Primitives")
    252 (info "(elisp)Time Conversion")

I decided it is ok for Checklist to be long, and Writing Emacs
Primitives.  They are not ordinary topics.  I split the rest of those.

I may split a few more.