Re: Options menu is broken on CVS

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Options menu is broken on CVS
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 16:49:30 +0300

> From: Nick Roberts <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 01:12:41 +1200
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
>  > I think the non-X build on Unix and GNU systems doesn't define
>  > HAVE_MENUS for a reason: without the proper X11 headers and libraries,
>  > xmenu.c simply will not compile.
>
> I'm not sure what HAVE_MENUS means but non-X systems clearly have menus
> (perhaps you've been tricked!).

HAVE_MENUS means menu support on the C level.  tmm doesn't do that, it
_emulates_ menus on the Lisp level.

> However, xmenu.c _does_ compile without
> X11 headers and libraries, otherwise you couldn't make a non-X build with
> it.

If the headers and libraries are present on the system, you could
build such a version allright.

>  > My interim conclusion is that the changes back in 2004 were not the
>  > one that caused the current problem.
>
> I think you are wrong.

Well, I think my patch just installed proves that I am right.

>  > Meanwhile, I don't think we should apply your suggested changes, since
>  > compiling xmenu.c on a system without X headers and libraries might
>  > fail due to unresolved externals.
>
> It solved the OP's problem.  I suggest that we do apply it as thats the only
> way to test it.  If it is wrong, I am sure we will hear about it shortly.

No need, as I fixed that differently.