Re: Options menu is broken on CVS

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Options menu is broken on CVS
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 06:50:34 +0300

> From: Nick Roberts <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 10:04:25 +1200
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
>  > Please don't take out this change without understanding what it was
>  > fixing in the first place.
>
> I think this is the right fix.

Please describe the reasons why you think this is the right fix.  (I'm
assuming you've read the discussions from 2004 that led to the
original changes.)

> Actually I think the problem was caused by Kim's change:
>
> 2004-03-11  Kim F. Storm  <address@hidden>
>
>       * Makefile.in:...
>       (XMENU_OBJ) [HAVE_MENUS]: Move declaration to proper place.

That change was made for a reason as well: some problem on Carbon.  We
need to understand that problem, to be sure your change will not
reintroduce it.  I hope that the explanations I asked for above will
clarify this (I still didn't have time to re-read those past
discussions and retrace what problems we were trying to fix.)

In addition, we need to explain why the OP says he started to see the
problem only recently.

> The preamble for xmenu.c says:
>
> /* X Communication module for terminals which understand the X protocol.
>
> but xmenu.c is more general than that and compiles without X.  Even its
> name is misleading (as with xdisp.c which also compiles without X).

That's history: xmenu.c was originally written for X, but then menu
support was added to the DOS port and later came tmm.  If you think
the name xmenu tricked Kim and myself into thinking it's only for X,
that was not the reason.