Re: Toolbar patch (OS X)

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
Subject: Re: Toolbar patch (OS X)
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 17:29:32 +0900

> If I only knew what works and what won't work on Classic.

OK, I'll take care of that later in the case you are not certain.

> By the way, I'd like to second what you wrote earlier:

>> Maybe we need to consider whether there is a raison d'ĂȘtre of the
>> Carbon port or not (with respect to version 23, not 22) before
>> making further development effort for it.

> One would expect that anyone interested in more advanced features
> (as offered by later releases) has moved on to OS X or
> GNU/Linux. Those who haven't obviously don't like upgrading. So it's
> difficult to understand why Classic should be supported.

As for Emacs 22, I added Mac OS Classic support because not only it
was a part of the official Emacs 21 release, but also it is useful for
making the Mac OS X version more stable.  In my experience, Mac OS
Classic is more sensitive to wrong use of (Carbon) API than Mac OS X,
and actually I've found various problems through adaptation for Mac OS
Classic.

As for Emacs 23, the Carbon port itself might become such that "it's
difficult to understand why it should be supported".  From the users'
point of view, it would be confusing to have two ports of Emacs that
are the same version and have similar look-and-feel, provided that
both of them are sufficiently stable and functional.

                                     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
                                address@hidden