Re: 3 dots vanish at end of filled line

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: 3 dots vanish at end of filled line
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 00:14:34 -0400

        1.  Without space, here are three address@hidden
            Without space, here are three dots...

        2.  With space, here are three dots @dots{}
            With space, here are three dots ...

        3.  Without space, here is a period and three address@hidden
            Without space, here is a period and three dots....

        4.  With space, here is a period and three dots. @dots{}
            With space, here is a period and three dots. ...

I can go along with #2 for an ellipsis within a sentence, but #4 is
simply too illogical to be borne.

    Unfortunately, in a printed manual using DVI, in the third example,
    the distance between the period and the first ellipsis dot is less
    than the spacing between the ellipsis dots.

The right way to produce output #3 is to use @enddots; it was designed
specifically for that case.  I presume it does not have that problem
of uneven spacing.

The ellipses which M-e should stop at are those at the end of a
sentence.  If people use this convention carefully, they will
use four dots.  So sentence-end should match four dots, followed
by whitespace.

In Texinfo mode, it should also treat any use of @enddots{}
as the end of a sentence.  Can someone try to set that up?