Re: 3 dots vanish at end of filled line

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: 3 dots vanish at end of filled line
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 12:21:30 +0000 (UTC)

    The right way to produce output #3 is to use @enddots; it was designed
    specifically for that case.  I presume it does not have that problem
    of uneven spacing.

I had forgot about @enddots.  Sadly, it is not usable in texinfo 4.8.

@enddots does not work in DVI.  Using texi2dvi, the command produces
only three dots on its own.  The spacing is wrong if you add a period.

(I have not checked the other usual output formats, HTML, PostScript,
PDF, and plain text.  If it fails in one output format, the command
fails Texinfo.)

In DVI, we see:

 1. Without space, here is @enddots{}...

 2. With space, here is @enddots{} ...

Note that both show only three dots.

When you do put a period in front of the @enddots{} command, the
spacing between the period and the ellipsis is different than the
spacing within the ellipsis.

(Also, the example in texinfo.txi,v 1.128 2004/12/29 15:06:41, which
came with Texinfo 4.8 fails using texi2dvi; it shows only three dots.
The Info output shows four.)

Here is the Texinfo source:

   Without space, here is @@address@hidden@address@hidden

In *info*, this procedure gives us five dots, like this:

    Without space, but with a period first, here is @enddots{}.....

(The DVI output shows four dots, with wrong spacing.)

The without-space and no period Info option works, as seen here in *info*:

    Without space, no period, here is @enddots{}....

    With space, no period, here is @enddots{} ...

The without-space, no-period option is OK for *info*.  In Info, it
produced what we hope to see: four dots, equal spacing between them,
no space between the end of the last word and the period.  But, as I
said, the command cannot be used in Texinfo, since it fails another
output format.

--
    Robert J. Chassell
    address@hidden                         GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8