Re: Amendments in calc-units.el

From: Torsten Bronger
Subject: Re: Amendments in calc-units.el
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 10:45:23 +0200

Hallöchen!

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> Torsten Bronger <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I suggest two renamings of unit abbreviations in calc-units.el,
>> in the attached patch.
>>
>> "pt" should become "pint" in order to make room for the
>> typographic point (pt).  I think this is more practical since the
>> latter is much more significant for calc usage, and its current
>> abbreviation "tpt" isn't used outside calc.
>>
>> Secondly, "point" should be renamed "bp" (big point).  It's not
>> *the* point after all (but an invention by Adobe, as far as I
>> know).
>
> It is pretty widespread, I think.
>
>> [...]
>
> Anyway, I think it unreasonable to work with gal, qt, but then
> require "pint".  If gal and qt are the usual abbreviations, then I
> think the normally used abbreviation for pint should also be used.
> Sure, TeX users would prefer to have pt and bp, but I don't think
> at the price of making the Imperial system inconsistent.

Thanks to you and Miles for your input.  The most important "point"
is indeed the "1/72in" point.  Therefore, I attached a slightly
different proposal: Keep "tpt" and add "pt" as a synonym for
"point".

(If changes are adopted, I'll also send the corresponding patch for
the docs.)

P.S.: The patch also removes the "degree" for "Kelvin".  It was
included in a list I had sent to the then maintainer two years ago,
however, he seems to have missed this one.
--
Torsten Bronger, aquisgrana, europa vetus            ICQ 264-296-646