Help menu (was: Re: describe-bindings: ^L, bad order, naming)

From: David Reitter
Subject: Help menu (was: Re: describe-bindings: ^L, bad order, naming)
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 18:18:55 +0000

On 14 Nov 2005, at 17:48, Richard M. Stallman wrote:

I still didn't see any real objections to mention "keyboard shortcuts"
    in the help message for that menu item.

Including it in parentheses can't hurt.

How about including it in the menu item name on systems that don't display the help texts?

The "Describe" sub-menu could also drop the myriad of "Describe ..." texts.

Right now, it is

Describe -->
         Describe Buffer Modes...
        Describe Key or Mouse Operation ...
        Describe ...
        Describe ...
        List Key Bindings
        ---
        Describe ...
        Describe ...
        Show all of Mule Stats

wouldn't it be easier for users to keep an oversight if we had something like

Describe -->
        Buffer Modes
        Key or Mouse Operation
        Key Bindings

(Keyboard Shortcuts)

In the main Help menu, I don't really understand why it is structured the way it is. Maybe I don't have to, fair enough. But one may wonder why the Emacs Tutorial is at the top, but the "Read the Emacs manual" is in the bottom half.

If it is "Tutorial", why is it not "Emacs manual" instead of "Read the Emacs Manual"?

"Find Emacs packages' sounds like "find extra packages", but one is a function that lists "Included packages", the other one is a text explaining something.