Re: Something is rotten with end-of-line and move-end-of-line

From: Lőrentey Károly
Subject: Re: Something is rotten with end-of-line and move-end-of-line
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 23:39:22 +0100

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
>> There is a test case given in the discussion that demonstrates the
>> original problem:
>>
>>      (progn
>>       (insert "\nab")
>>       (insert-image-file "../etc/splash.xpm")
>>       (move-end-of-line 1)
>>       (insert "def\n"))
>>
>> move-b/e-of-line move across the image to the line ending that
>> corresponds to what is displayed on the screen, while the builtin
>> b/e-of-line variants stop at the hidden newlines embedded in the image
>> file.
>
> Correct me if I am wrong, but we move point away from invisible areas
> anyway in the keyboard input loop, so there is no necessity to let
> move-end-of-line do the deed explicitly in order to get
> user-comprehensible behavior, right?

Consider the above example, when point is after the inserted image:

        ab[IMAGE]def<!>

Executing `beginning-of-line' stops right after the image, which is
not what the user expects.

        ab[IMAGE]<!>def

Similarly, from the other way around, `end-of-line' stops just before
the image.  (Note that the text that is hidden behind the image has
display and intangible properties only, it is not invisible.  However,
`end-of-line' and `beginning-of-line' behave the same (well, similar)
way with invisible newlines.)

--
Károly