Re: Release of CC Mode 5.31

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Release of CC Mode 5.31
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 00:04:54 +0100

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>>> When the byte-compiler sees a `require', and the corresponding .elc file is
>>> older than the corresponding .el file, it should load the .el file.
>
>> By this very logic, when you (load "foo")---after all, `load' and
>> `require' are very similar---Emacs should load foo.el if it is newer
>> than foo.elc.
>
> Yes, that too.
>
>> And yet we don't do that, and I think for a very good reason.
>
> I don't know about "very good".  AFAIK the reason is so that you can mess up
> the .el file as badly as you want (e.g. with conflict markers when merging
> updates) without breaking things and only once you byte-compile will you
> make your changes visible to Emacs (kind of like a "commit").

This means that you can work on a .el file for a period of time
without making emacs useless if you happen to exit and restart emacs
in case there are errors in that file.

OTOH, I wish emacs would unconditionally load .el files if started
with -D option so it was easier to debug stuff without having to guess
what code is executed by the byte-compiler.

But then again, it would make debugging of errors in byte-compiler
more difficult...

Anyways, none of this as any effect on lisp code loaded into the
dumped emacs, which is also known to confuse users...