Re: menu-bar: disable items when no frame visible

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: menu-bar: disable items when no frame visible
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 23:14:48 +0200

> Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 09:23:51 +0100
> From: "Jan D." <address@hidden>
> CC: Juri Linkov <address@hidden>, address@hidden, address@hidden,
>         address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> Richard M. Stallman wrote:
>
> >    > Does this mean you can have several detached GTK menus,
> >    > each detached from a different frame?
> >
> >    Yes.
> >
> >So I guess it is necessary to make operations on each detached menu
> >work on its associated frame, and to make the enabling and disabling
> >of items in that menu depend on its associated frame.
> >
> >Jan, could you DTRT?
> >

> It should be so already.  Code-wise there is no difference between a
> menu bar menu and a detached menu, so if enabling/disabling works for
> the menu bar, it should work for detached menus also.  Are there cases
> where this doesn't work?
>
> When a frame is iconified, the detached menus are (or should be)
> iconified as well.  This is done by the GTK toolkit.

What about the other half of what Richard wrote: ``make the enabling
and disabling of items in the menu depend on its associated frame''
(which is the original problem that started this thread)?  When you
say ``it should be so already'', do you mean it already works?
Because, AFAIK, in the current code enabling/disabling menu items
depends on the variable menu-updating-frame, which is not set
correctly on some platforms, like the no-toolkit X build.