Re: menu-bar: disable items when no frame visible

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: menu-bar: disable items when no frame visible
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 16:27:28 +0200

> FWIW, I don't like using the frame returned by selected-frame because
> that could enable the menu items if menu-updating-frame is somehow not
> set when it should.  We might be sweeping problems under the carpet
> here.

If for some reason menu-updating-frame is not set when it should (due to
a bug or a overlooked case) then it is much better to enable menu items
than to disable them by default.  When a menu item is enabled with its
updating frame invisible, it is not a disaster.  But when menu items are
permanently disabled (for another overlooked case like non-toolkit builds),
this makes menus in Emacs unusable.  The change in menu-bar.el makes such
an unfortunate situation impossible.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/