Re: customize-apropos

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: customize-apropos
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 18:33:08 -0500

    I believe that it _is_ the current policy not to show any variable in
    a Custom buffer that is not defined with defcustom.

Not completely.  customize-variable will do so, if you specify such a
variable.  (You have to enter the argument with C-M-c, though, since
it is not a valid completion.)

I think it is fine for customize-apropos to have an option to include
non-custom variables.  We should not delete that featurelet.

       Instead of saying just "NO CUSTOMIZATION DATA; you should not see this"
       (which is what I see, in a CVS snapshot from June), a user option should
be
       labeled as such, with, for example, a message/label such as "You cannot
       customize this option, but you can set it with command `set-variable'.

We might want to change that text, because it seems to suggest there
was a bug.  If it is unusual and occurs only after a special request,
that message is too alarming to fit the situation.