Re: Customizing faces with `defcustom'

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Customizing faces with `defcustom'
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 03:23:19 +0200

>     `Buffer-menu-buffer' should definitely figure in the modeline group.
>     When I first tried to customize the modeline, `Buffer-menu-buffer' was
>     hard to spot and very undescriptive.
>
> What is the face `Buffer-menu-buffer' used for?  Where does it appear?
> Its documentation is quite unclear, and I would like to clear it up, but
> first I need to understand.  (Maybe its name should be changed too.)

The main purpose of `Buffer-menu-buffer' is to highlight buffer names in
the *Buffer List* buffer (since it is defined in buff-menu.el).  But the
same face is also used to highlight buffer names in the mode line.

There should be a special separate face for the mode line.  What would
be a good name for it?  `mode-line-buffer'?  This is too specific.
`mode-line-bold'?  This name might become untrue when customized to
something else.

There are modes that could use this new face.  For example, info.el
highlights in bold only the Info buffer name which is not quite important.
But the Info node name in the mode line (which is more important than
the Info buffer name) is not highlighted.  This new face could be used
to highlighted the Info node name in the mode line as well.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/