Re: coding systems vs. info files

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: coding systems vs. info files
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2006 19:28:18 +0200

> So, my question is, should any of the above be happening?

The problem is due to Latin-1 characters in the author's name in the node
(info "(efaq)Emacs for Atari ST").  The source file man/faq.texi
contains -*- coding: latin-1; -*- so Emacs handles the source file
correctly.  But makeinfo doesn't copy this cookie to the info file,
so Emacs Info reader recognizes its coding differently on different
language environments.

> (a) seems a bit silly -- the strings which get encoded in Japanese/UTF-8
> are a just few random boilerplate things, and given that the actual
> content of the file is in English, it's kind of inconsistent, and not
> terribly useful for Japanese speakers.  It seems like makeinfo should
> ignore LANG for the most part, and just use the language the texinfo
> file was written in as the language for any makeinfo-produced text
> (though maybe it could look at LANG to fine-tune the final encoding).
>
> As for (b), it seems like makeinfo should probably add a coding: tag to
> reflect whatever decision it makes.  If it does that, then it solves (c).

I believe this is exactly what makeinfo should do.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/