Re: [help-texinfo] Re: coding systems vs. info files

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] Re: coding systems vs. info files
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 18:13:27 -0600

    the `Local Variables' section too far from the end of the Info file,
    so Emacs can't find it.

Because the tag table is huge, I would guess?  Or is there some other
reason?  Can someone point me to the problematic Texinfo file?

    It seems like makeinfo should
    ignore LANG for the most part,

Right, it should not use LANG for output (this is nothing new), but
neither I nor anyone has implemented it yet.  (Bruno informed me it is
not so easy to switch languages in gettext, unfortunately, which is what
it boils down to.)  Meanwhile, using LANG for output means that at least
it is possible to get those boilerplate fragments in (say) French for a
French document.

    and just use the language the texinfo

BTW, Texinfo has @documentlanguage and @documentencoding commands.  It
doesn't try to "guess" anything.  The coding: tag reflects the
@documentencoding.  If there is no @documentencoding, there will be no
coding: tag.  I don't think it has any way of knowing what encoding the
translation for language XX used.

karl