Re: W32 version crashes on C-g

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: W32 version crashes on C-g
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 15:49:09 +0100

"Juanma Barranquero" <address@hidden> writes:

> On 3/17/06, Kim F. Storm <address@hidden> wrote:
>> "Juanma Barranquero" <address@hidden> writes:
>>

>> Thanks, but...
>>
>> $ ./configure --no-debug
>> configure: error: unrecognized option: --no-debug
>> Try `./configure --help' for more information.
>
> If you're bootstrapping on Windows, configure.bat and makefile.w32-in
> are in the nt\ directory of the Emacs distribution:
>
>  C:\emacs> cd nt
>  C:\emacs\nt> configure.bat --no-debug
>  [...]
>  C:\emacs\nt> make bootstrap
>  [...]
>  C:\emacs\nt> make install
>
> etc. should work.

If you know what you are doing, yes.  I obviously don't.

So you lost me there...  I just installed MSYS and MINGW, and now
you're telling me to run stuff in COMMAND.COM ?

C:\>cd \gnu\devel\nt

C:\gnu\devel\nt>configure.bat --no-debug
Checking for 'cp'...
Checking for 'rm'...
Checking whether 'cl' is available...
'cl' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
Checking whether 'gcc' is available...
Checking whether gcc requires '-mno-cygwin'...
Checking whether W32 API headers are too old...

C:\gnu\devel\nt>gcc  -mno-cygwin -c junk.c
gcc: installation problem, cannot exec `cc1': No such file or directory

Configure failed.
To configure Emacs for Windows, you need to have either
gcc-2.95 or later with Mingw32 and the W32 API headers,
or MSVC 2.x or later.

I tried to look at nt/INSTALL, and rather than giving
ONE CLEAR way to build it, it gives an utterly complex
mix of basic CMD.COM, Cygwin, and MinGW stuff that may
work in various combinations.

I looked for a pre-built version because I didn't want to
mess with this -- and I suppose that in the Windoze world
most users will do just that.

Given the utterly complex procedures in INSTALL, no wonder
the pre-built version doesn't work :-(

Would someone like to work on a simple, step-by-step
guide for building this using ONE tool-kit (e.g. MinGW),
tell _exactly_ where to find the right versions of those tools,
libaries, etc. it would be nice.