Re: gnus / message-send-mail-with-mailclient [patch]

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: gnus / message-send-mail-with-mailclient [patch]
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 10:36:30 +0000

On 18 Mar 2006, at 11:44, Reiner Steib wrote:

So I think mailclient should be used in preference to smtpmail.

If the user (or site admin) has configured
`smtpmail-[default-]smtp-server' (or $SMTPSERVER) I think we can
assume that it works.  Else the user can customize the variable
`message-send-mail-function'.

I'd like to add `mailclient.el' to Gnus' contrib directory so that
Emacs 21 (or XEmacs) users can also use it.  David, WDYT?

I just tried out mailclient on emacs 21 on my FC3 (KDE) installation (where Firefox 1.06 is the standard web browser and reacts to browse- url). Turns out that there, browse-url does not work with mailto URLs. No feedback is given, and Emacs wrongly states that the e-mail is sent.

browse-url-browser-function is set to `htmlview', which seems to be the default.

On Darwin/OS X, Emacs 21 in the terminal works just fine with mailclient.

In conclusion I'd say: yes, offer it to Emacs 21 users. However, do not use mailclient as a preference to zero-configuration methods (sendmail) on GNU/Linux systems. As for `smtpmail', I can't tell. But at least one would think that smtpmail shows an error message in case it hasn't been configured (with a server), right? That's better than showing nothing or misleading the user.

Maybe we should caution users appropriately if mailclient is used on systems where we can't guarantee reliability?