Re: How to stop find-grep-dired?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: How to stop find-grep-dired?
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 00:32:30 -0400

    >     How do you stop a command like `find-grep-dired'? I tried C-g and
    >     M-ESC-ESC but none of them worked. I looked in the menus, but I found
    >     nothing obvious there. (I did this on w32.)
    >
    > Since the buffer fills asynchronously, C-g won't stop it.
    > Killing the buffer should do so.  Does that work?

    It does, but suppose you want the information that is already there?

What is the motive for wanting to stop the process?
What harm does it do to let the process keep running?

Does M-x kill-grep kill the process for find-grep-dired?
If not, I think we should make it work.

    That could be the case for `grep-find' for example. Why not bind C-g to
    something like this in those buffers (or globally)?

I get a bad feeling about that.  People type C-g to try to cancel
commands, and sometimes do so by mistake in betweeen commands.  This
is a matter of habit.  If the habit activates itself while
find-grep-dired is running, it could kill the process when you
don't want to.