Re: Bug Database?

From: Frank Schmitt
Subject: Re: Bug Database?
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 09:04:55 +0200

Nick Roberts <address@hidden> writes:

>  >     As a point of reference GDB has 1218 open bugs in its database and
> still
>  >     gets released roughly on a six monthly cycle.
>  >
>  > I suspect it means there is insufficient priority to fixing GDB bugs.
> It depends how you measure things.  They have more people using a recent
> version of GDB and more people fixing bugs.  There's a clear message: if you
> want it fixed for the next version then you may have to fix it yourself.

Which results in the fact that gdb is since years completely unusable
for C++ programs relying on templated functions (so basically all C++
programs which aren't just pimped C).

So most C++ developers I know have switched to the "free as in free beer
but not free as in free software" debugger from Sun Studio which in
contrast to gdb works really well.

Did you ever realize how much text fits in eighty columns? If you now consider
that a signature usually consists of up to four lines, this gives you enough
space to spread a tremendous amount of information with your messages. So seize
this opportunity and don't waste your signature with bullshit nobody will read.