Re: Keybinding nit

From: Stuart D. Herring
Subject: Re: Keybinding nit
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 09:09:53 -0700 (PDT)

> Serves me right.  If it weren't for disagreement, I'd have no
> agreement at all.  I'd have proposed to move C-x 4 0
> (`kill-buffer-and-window') to C-x 4 k and have C-x 5 k be mapped to
> `kill-buffer-and-frame' (which does not yet exist).

It's obviously of little real importance, what with such convenient
functions as `global-set-key', but in case anyone's interested: obviously
the 0 in C-x 4 0 doesn't parallel the 0 in C-x 0 or C-x 5 0, but it's
possible to think of the 4 as a modifier on the 0 instead of the other way
around.  Since C-x 0 is already a window command, and 4 is a window
modifier, I treat it as an emphatic; -kill- this window (by which I mean
`kill-buffer-and-window', of course) rather than merely -close- it.

(4 also has the meaning of "other window" sometimes, as in C-x 4 f; in
that sense, I have C-x 4 k bound to my own command
`kill-other-buffer-and-window' with obvious semantics.  I frequently use
it after using ediff or help so as to quickly clear my workspace of both
windows and buffers I no longer need.)

Davis

shipping.