Re: Emacs-diffs Digest, Vol 50, Issue 7

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Emacs-diffs Digest, Vol 50, Issue 7
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2007 16:54:28 +0100

Jason Rumney <address@hidden> writes:

> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>>> This conflict arose because the designers of Windows
>>> did not concern themselves with how Emacs used these characters.
>>>

> I suggest that at least the above sentence must be removed, as it
> incorrectly gives the designers of Windows credit for the CUA
> standard.

Well, it is a bit blurry whether C-z C-x C-c C-v is actually part of CUA.

IIRC, they come from the Mac (or Lisa) as the "Apple+Z" etc keys, and
since Apple made revisions to the CUA spec, these bindings ended up in
Windoze as C-z etc.

But it is right that M$ didn't invent CUA.

> In fact, I suggest that advertising Windows in this text and including
> it in a Windows specific section of the manual is inappropriate, as
> many systems now use the control key as the default modifier for their
> CUA keybindings (Gnome and KDE for example).

Yes, although I seldom use Windoze for any serious work (expect
reading my company mail) I still prefer to use the CUA bindings to be
compatible with a lot of other FREE applications that I use -- and
Windoze when I have to :-).

So this basically has _nothing_ to do with Windoze as such ... it has
something to do with the majority of "modern" gui applications which
are (more or less) CUA compliant.

So I agree that this is the wrong part of the Manual to put this info.