Re: Default of jit-lock-stealth-time

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Default of jit-lock-stealth-time
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 22:54:27 +0200

> Cc: Miles Bader <address@hidden>,  Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>,
>         address@hidden
> From: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 09:23:59 +0100
>
> Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Sure.  Jit-lock-stealth has been in wide use since Emacs-21.1 (and
> > the years of development before), so it's clear that its bad effects
> > are sufficiently mild.
>
> Font-lock was turned off by default in versions 21.1 to 21.4 since its
> performance impact was not well-behaved enough.

Inaccurate.  First, font-lock was turned off by default in _all_
versions of Emacs since its introduction (in v19.x, AFAIR).  More
importantly, a large majority of users turned it on, so that
jit-lock-stealth _was_, indeed, widely used since v21.1, where
jit-lock was introduced.

> Quite a bit of fixes went into font-lock in order to make it a
> defensible choice to enable it by default.

Inaccurate.  Improvements to jit-lock notwithstanding, the main reason
for turning it on was that we decided the garden-variety CPUs are
nowadays fast enough to fontify buffers without annoyance to most
users.