Re: ruby-mode

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: ruby-mode
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 13:16:28 -0400

> I hear that the emacs trunk is now open to new features.

Indeed.

> I think  it's time to include ruby-mode to the Emacs main distribution,
> considering the recent popularity of the ruby language.  The ruby
> developers agreed with this idea when I asked them in 2005.

> Are you OK to include ruby-mode for 22.2 or 23.0?  How to start?

It's up to Richardto decide, I guess, but I expect there'd be no problem
accepting ruby-mode on the trunk (which will turn into Emacs-23 at some
point in the future), as long as the legal paperwork is done.  I.e. the main
author(s) need to transfer their copyright to the FSF and the people who
submitted non-trivial patches need to sign a copyright-disclaimer.

I doubt it'll be included in Emacs-22.2 (I expect this release to be
bugfix-only), but maybe Emacs-22.3 will be open to a few minor feature
additions such as new packages.

        Stefan