Re: Multi-tty design (Re: Reordering etc/NEWS)

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Multi-tty design (Re: Reordering etc/NEWS)
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 18:51:59 -0400

>> I would argue that an Emacs started with
>> DISPLAY=:0.0 emacs -display :1.0
>> should export an environment variable DISPLAY=:1.0 to its subprocesses
>> unless explicitly overridden.  This is somewhat complicated by the
>> situation given with
>> DISPLAY=:0.0 emacs -nw
>> In this case, I would still want to export :0.0 to subprocesses, and
>> in the case
>> DISPLAY=:0.0 emacs -nw -display :1.0
>> I would suggest a non-graphical instance of Emacs exporting a DISPLAY
>> variable of :1.0.

> I do not feel this is a particularly important issue, but sure.  Do
> people use -display often?  I usually simply change DISPLAY directly.

I use make-frame-on-display, and in this case it's a lot more important.

> But if that's really the case, we can still make `process-environment'
> have a terminal-local binding (with, I assume, DEFVAR_KBOARD), and have
> all existing third-party Elisp code continue to work without changes.

I'm not sure I understand: wouldn't this choice break the mentioned AUCTeX
code, then?
Also, while I'm here, why do you use frame-local bindings rather than
terminal-local bindings (maybe via a new terminal-local variable
`local-process-environment')?

        Stefan