Re: CVS is the `released version'

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: CVS is the `released version'
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 12:03:33 +0000 (UTC)

    rms> This might tempt redistributors (such as GNU/Linux distros)
    rms> to add other repositories.  I don't want to ask for trouble.

        Unfortunately this does not align very well with my goals in
        writing package.el.  ... download and install ... the 3rd
        party, unassigned code ...

Since all software in the United States is copyrighted on creation,
whether or not a copy of that code is sent to the copyright office,
unless it is specifically said to be public domain, downloading and
installing "3rd party, unassigned code" may mean `illegally using
code'.  Most programs, of course, are never used illegally.  But a few
may be.  This can be awkward.

Doubtless, you are thinking of code that you or people you trust have
checked for legality, but not every American does.

--
    Robert J. Chassell                          GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8
    address@hidden                         address@hidden