Re: modify-syntax-entry and UTF8?

From: James Cloos
Subject: Re: modify-syntax-entry and UTF8?
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 09:25:35 -0400

>>>>> "Geoffrey" == Geoffrey Alan Washburn <address@hidden> writes:

Geoffrey> No, what I wrote is exactly what I meant, unless the author of
Geoffrey> the TeX-input method incorrectly defined \langle and \rangle.

Ah.  That does put a different spin on things.

And in fact, the UCS has expanded since that was written, and characters
were added for exactly TeX's \langle and \rlangle (and a few others in
latin-ltx.el which currently point to CJK characters instead of math chars).

latin-ltx.el should be updated to use ⟨ U+27E8 MATHEMATICAL LEFT ANGLE
BRACKET for \langle and ⟩ U+27E9 MATHEMATICAL RIGHT ANGLE BRACKET for \rangle.

Other examples are \llbracket and \rrbracket which should be U+27E6 and
U+27E7 instead of U+301A and U+301B, \ldata and \rdata (U+27EA and
U+27EB instead of U+300A and U+300B), \sbs (U+29F5 instead of U+FE68).

The reason is that the CJK characters in Emacs get different codepoints
depending on which language, and that can prevent matching.

I'm sure you are having problems matching those characters because the
versions in your .el file have different buffer and/or file codes than
what you are trying to match them to.

What does C-uC-x= output when point is on the characters in your
(modify-syntax-entry) calls and when point is on one of the characters
you are trying to match in the buffer you are editing?  What are the
mode and coding-system of the buffer you are editing?  What is the
coding-system of the .el file?

-JimC
--
James Cloos <address@hidden>         OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6