Re: etags.el tags-search use global syntax table

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: etags.el tags-search use global syntax table
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2007 06:05:09 -0400

      But I made another change, that is,
    the patched set-auto-mode returns the chosen mode.  I think this may be
    useful for programs that want to know which mode a buffer should be in,
    but do not want to set it.

    >Also, if you want a way to do that, why make the signal be a list
    >containing t?  Why not just pass t as the argument?  Why make it a
    >list if the rest of the list is irrelevant?

    Yes, passing just t would certainly be clearer.  I thought that having
    always a list would be simpler to use and possibly more flexible, but I
    would certainly make that change if you think it is best.

Please use just t for that meaning, and document why it's useful.