Re: .emacs-settings.el

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: .emacs-settings.el
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2007 13:40:48 -0400

Ted> Also, C-h v and customize-variable should say that project.el has
Ted> overridden a variable, so the user doesn't have to wonder.  There should
Ted> also be a user-visible message when project.el is detected and used.

> Do we do these things for file-local variables?

No.  But it would be nice for C-h v to tell the user where the buffer-local
setting comes from (e.g. from the file-local section, with a hyperlink to
it).

> I don't mind the latter, though I imagine I would consider it noise.

Agreed.

> I'd rather not do the former.  But if I must, I may need help here.
> Offhand I don't know how I'd implement it.

I don't think it's a necessary feature, but it would be a nice addition (for
for file-local and dir-local settings).  I'm not sure how to implement it
either, but I guess we could change hack-local-variables to maintain a new
(buffer-local) variable `file-local-settings' and in C-h v we check this var
to see if the variable displayed is among the ones that were set
file-locally.

        Stefan