Re: frame-local variables weirdness

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: frame-local variables weirdness
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 18:41:03 +0200

On 10/12/07, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:

> What are those other problems?
>
> I could install that patch, so we can discover and fix the
> other problems.  But if you have already seen them, let's
> debug them first.

I tried it a few days ago, and font-locking started acting
erratically: it worked OK in some buffers, partially in other buffers,
and not at all in some.

And, IIRC, when you originally posted the patch it did work for me,
but you reported problems with some of the mode line contents.

>     I'd much rather disallow variables that are both buffer-local and
> frame-local.
>
> We should not cavalierly disallow the use of features in combination
> just because there is a bug.

That quote is not mine, but Stefan's. I still agree with him, though,
that there's not much gained with frame-local variables, over simple
frame parameters.

             Juanma