Re: frame-local variables weirdness

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: frame-local variables weirdness
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 18:17:01 +0200

On 10/22/07, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:

> You mean it showed up in real use?

Well, I wasn't looking for bugs or deliberately constructing
convoluted test cases, I just happened to stumble upon it, but I don't
remember anymore whether that was in a piece of code or just while
trying to understand the implications of frame-local variables. The
example I sent is a convoluted test case, though, designed to
highlight the problem.

Anyway, what I meant is that if we allow variables that can be both
automatically-buffer local and frame-local, and we consider as a
feature that a piece of code "works right" without knowing whether
some variable has been made frame-local or not behind it's back, and
add to it that what triggers the bug is a *read* of the variable's
value at the wrong time... I'd say is a real bug of the "I won't
encounter it in a million years, but the moment I do, I'll have an
interesting time debugging it" variety. YMMV.

All in all, I think in this case we're in violent agreement.

             Juanma