Re: region-active-p

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: region-active-p
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 05:01:41 -0400

     > When commands in XEmacs call [region-active-p], do they also test
     > for a nonempty region?  Or do they operate on the region
     > when it is empty?

    Core commands defined in Lisp don't test (at least not within 3 lines,
    checked with grep -3), but they're generally wrappers for functions
    defined in C that do test (eg, the casefilling commands).

I don't entirely understand the answer.  Maybe I did not state the
question clearly.  When you say they "don't test", what precisely
don't they test?

Are you sayimg that they call `region-active-p' but do not test
whether the region is nonempty?