RE: always put Customizations in `custom-file', never in `user-init-file

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: always put Customizations in `custom-file', never in `user-init-file'
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 22:06:07 -0800

>     The entire `custom-file' is generally not intended to be edited by
>     a user ...
> ... For me, it is worth making [faces] simple to set.  Thus, regarding
> faces, it is easy to see and change, and change again (and perhaps
> again and again) by modifying
>     (custom-set-faces
>      '(bold ((t (:background "DodgerBlue4" :foreground "coral1"))))
> Moreover, it is easier for me to remember the name of one
> customization file, a .emacs file, than two.

Are you saying that you edit the custom-set-faces sexp in your .emacs

If so, then presumably you don't need Customize or use Customize to save
anything. In that case, you can keep on editing everything, including
custom-set-faces, in your .emacs. A proposal that Customize not save stuff
to .emacs will not affect you if you don't use Customize.