make bootstrap fails from fresh CVS checkout (was: GNU/Linux (Ubuntu 7.1

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: make bootstrap fails from fresh CVS checkout (was: GNU/Linux (Ubuntu 7.10) bootstrap from a CVS checkout fails ("Maximum buffer size exceeded"))
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 14:52:48 -0600

Further investigation:

I traced the error to fileio.c:3867:

if (XINT (end) != st.st_size
    || ((int) st.st_size * 4) / 4 != st.st_size)
  /* extra parameters added by me */
  error ("Maximum buffer size exceeded: XINT(end)=%d, st.st_size=%d",
XINT(end), st.st_size);

This shows that XINT(end) and st.st_size are both 0, by the way.  This
agrees with my observation (see the original message) that no data is
read from the file that's being loaded before the maximum buffer size is
exceeded.

If I comment out that check, the compilation proceeds until:

Dumping under names emacs and emacs-23.0.50
emacs: Can't allocate buffer for /home/tzz/source/emacs/src/temacs

in unexelf.c, line 721.  I can't avoid that error so I'm unable to build Emacs.

This is under GCC 4.1.3 on Ubuntu:

Using built-in specs.
Target: i486-linux-gnu
Configured with: ../src/configure -v
--enable-languages=c,c++,fortran,objc,obj-c++,treelang --prefix=/usr
--enable-shared --with-system-zlib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
--without-included-gettext --enable-threads=posix --enable-nls
--with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/include/c++/4.1.3 --program-suffix=-4.1
--enable-__cxa_atexit --enable-clocale=gnu --enable-libstdcxx-debug
--enable-mpfr --enable-checking=release i486-linux-gnu
Thread model: posix
gcc version 4.1.3 20070929 (prerelease) (Ubuntu 4.1.2-16ubuntu2)

I also tried GCC 3.4 with the same result, in case the 4.1.3 prerelease
was a problem.  The error was exactly the same.

It's been almost a month since I reported this problem; I'd love to
figure out the cause.  Is anyone willing to help?  My C knowledge is
insufficient to figure out what's happening.

Ted