Re: emacsclient bug

From: Len Trigg
Subject: Re: emacsclient bug
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 16:16:26 +1300

Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > It sounds like the problem is larger than just treating DISPLAY as an
> > implicit -display parameter.  If I pass -display $DISPLAY, would emacs
> > also incorrectly open a new frame, rather than using the existing tty
> > (assuming I supply neither -c or -t)?
>
> Of course it would open a new X11 frame: That's what `-display' is for.

I had always thought of --display and $DISPLAY as fulfilling the same
function, setting the name of your X server, rather than an
instruction to perform an action (open a window when you otherwise
wouldn't).  The other behaviour of emacs is consistent with this
interpretation:

emacs -nw --display $DISPLAY        (opens in tty)
emacsclient -t --display $DISPLAY   (opens in tty)

Cheers,
Len.