Re: Implementing Eclipse's "organize-imports" in Emacs Lisp

From: Paul Michael Reilly
Subject: Re: Implementing Eclipse's "organize-imports" in Emacs Lisp
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 07:09:33 -0500

Richard Stallman wrote:
It seems to me that the best way to do this is by writing an
external command line program to report the info.  And then writing
an Emacs function to run that program and display the results.

My experience is that starting up a Java program appears to take longer than a non-Java program, although with each Sun release and with the OpenJDK that situation appears to be getting better. But your point is well taken that the simplest approach is the preferable approach until it can be verified that the startup time does, in fact, have a negative impact.

But this appears to be moot since the JDEE community has addressed the problem and might already have a solution.

Why make the communication so complex?  Why not just fork and exec?

What causes the "startup overhead"?  Is it loading a large analysis
program?  Is it parsing and analyzing your program?

Yes, it is a parsing and analysis program.

-pmr