Re: Emacs costs 100M memory on Windows XP

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs costs 100M memory on Windows XP
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2008 16:33:05 +0200

> Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2008 13:10:39 +0000
> From: Jason Rumney <address@hidden>
> CC: Eric Lilja <address@hidden>, address@hidden
>
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > This happens because the Windows build does not run
> > admin/unidata/Makefile.  I'm working on fixing that.
> >
> I added some rules to build charprop.el yesterday. However, the DOC file
> is built on Windows BEFORE temacs, so we cannot generate charprop.el in
> time for the build to succeed.

I think you added those rules in the wrong place, or maybe they are
not enough to bootstrap.  DOC is indeed built before temacs, but we
already have built the bootstrap version of temacs and emacs before
that, so we could use those bootstrap versions to produce charprop.el
(and other files generated from UnicodeData.txt).  This is what the
Unix build process does.

I added the necessary rules along the above ideas, and I'm
bootstrapping now.  If the bootstrap runs to completion, I will commit
the changes I have so far.