Re: Enabling Transient Mark Mode by default

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Enabling Transient Mark Mode by default
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 09:31:48 -0500

>     The issue of the mark being active when you don't want it, is
>     particularly acute for people who push marks for navigation purposes.

> Could you explain what you mean by this?  As far as I know, the mark
> is active now in the same cases where it would be active when
> Transient Mark mode is not enabled.

For people who use the mark(s) for navigational purposes, pushing the
mark is an operation comparable to saving point to a register.
So the fact that TMM starts to highlight the text between that mark and
point is just a hassle.

I.e. those people will often activate the mark just because they wanted
to add a position to the mark-ring, not because they cared particularly
about activating the mark.  Without TMM, activating the mark
unnecessarily is harmless, but not with TMM.

        Stefan