Re: 23.0.50; Middle w in of permissions in dired-mode is red and bold: d

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: 23.0.50; Middle w in of permissions in dired-mode is red and bold: dired-warning
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 18:20:00 +0200

>> I think no face should be distracting.  In very rare cases, a strong
>> color should indicate an error, so the user has to fix it immediately,
>> thus removing this error together with the face indication from the view.
>
> Is warning also okay to glare, or just the errors?
> font-lock-warning-face has been glaring for ages.

A warning/error is okay to glare in places that should draw the user's
attention.  But for file attributes it is an annoyance confirmed by
your own opinion:

    From: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
    Subject: Re: Re: 23.0.50; Middle w in of permissions in dired-mode is red
and bold: dired-warning
    Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2007 22:37:07 +0200

    IMO, this whole feature of highlighting attributes is an annoyance,
    and the only reason I could live with it until now is because it
    previously had a not-so-in-my-face color.  Now someone made it glaring
    red, which is too much for me.

You can expect the same angry reaction from other Emacs users after releasing
Emacs 22.2 without fixing this annoyance.

>> > If you really really dislike (hate?) the warning face, one thing we
>> > could try is to make it red and non-bold on terminals that support
>> > colors.  If that's an acceptable compromise, then we can safely go
>> > ahead and make that change.
>>
>> Actually a good face to use is font-lock-comment-delimiter-face
>> because it is not glaring as font-lock-warning-face.
>
> As I wrote elsewhere in this thread, such a change will effectively
> reintroduce the problem on text terminals that Martin Rudalics was
> trying to fix when he made dired-warn inherit from
> font-lock-warning-face.

No, it fixes the original reported problem since
font-lock-comment-delimiter-face
defines colors for text terminals.

--
Juri Linkov